Whether its a weighbelt or a buddy, the ability to find something — or someone — under water is essential for divers. And when you find that lost object, you need to bring it to the surface. These skills — search patterns, lift bags, rigging and knots — are the heart of the PADI Search & Recovery Diver specialty.
In Pattaya, you’ll do your Search & Recovery course with a shipwreck in the background. Bring small and medium-sized objects to the surface and learn the challenges of deploying a lift bag in steady currents.
Sound challenging? Or fun? It’s both. And satisfying too. Sooner or later, you or your buddy is going to lose something diving. Wouldn’t it be good to know you know how to find it?
What will I do?
- Search and recovery dive planning, organization, procedures, techniques and how to deal with potential problems
- How to locate large and small objects using search patterns
- How to use a lift bag and other recovery methods
- Limited visibility search techniques
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization) or
- PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver AND PADI Underwater Navigation certifications (or qualifying certification from another organization)
- Minimum age: 12 years old
What Can I Look For Next?
Your Adventures In Diving Search and Recovery Adventure Dive may count toward this Specialty certification at instructor discretion. This specialty can also be used as one of five Specialty certifications required for your Master Scuba Diver certification.